HybridZ

Not a Z, but Chevy swap question

Guest Azel

Hey guys,

An interesting swap occurred to me today. A neighbor of mine looks to be selling his mid 90's Subaru Impreza for peanuts. It's AWD with an absolutely trivial 2.2 n/a boxer motor. I've had some experience tweaking my bro's 4x4 S10 and the thought of dropping in an LT1 hooked up to a 700-R4 and SyTy transfer case. I'm positive the auto tranny in the Subaru looks puny compared to the 700-r4 so maybe a little tunnel pummeling is in the works (don't get the wrong idea now guys, lol). I wonder what the weight discrepency between an LT1 and a the boxer 4 is? If anyone has an experience with the Subaru please let me know, I'm only considering this because I've always loved the light, go-anywhere handling of Subaru's and with the right Chevy swap, this thing could be one potent sleeper.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I've always loved the light, go-anywhere handling of Subarus

Then why take that away? I can almost guarantee you that there wont be any way to keep the AWD drivetrain if you swap an engine that is not a boxer.

I'd recommend searching google to see if there are any subaru sites and see if you can find any with info on swaps. :wink:

Guest 240Zduz10s
maybe a little tunnel pummeling is in the works (don't get the wrong idea now guys, lol).

i dont have much to add, but i though this was so funny.. :lol:

maybe you could just keep it rwd instead of playing with the transfer case

just throw the old motor away and hook up your driveshaft to the rear diff.

i would like a newer car with a v8 swap than an old rattly Z for comfort reasons, a new subaru would be nice with 350 hp.

I owned a '78 Brat years and years ago. That was the first and last Subaru I've ever had experience with so please excuse me if my info is dated. I bought it cheap because it had a rod knock. This much I remember very well That boxer four was very light. You could almost unbolt it and yank it out of the engine bay all by yourself. It seems to me that even the lightweight LS1 would be significantly heavier. With the relative location of the wheels to the engine bay that the Subaru drivetrain dictates I think you would be looking at a very nose heavy car.

Like I say, my Subaru knowledge is 25 years old so someone set me straight if I'm off here.

Being flat fours, subaru engines are always mounted VERY low in the car and as far back as possible. Are you even sure you physically fit an LT1 in there? Of the models I have seen there doesn't apear to be all that much room. If you conver the car to RWD I have a feeling it will be very unbalanced. You are better off just sticking a turbo on it.