HybridZ

Seriously doing 5.0 in my 280zx

Guest kc280zx

Guest kc280zx

after talking to Al about the mounts, it seems that no one knows if i can use the prefabbed mounts and cross member. since the mounts are good for up through 78, whats the difference between 78 and 79-83 mounts? also is there any difference in the crossmembers, or do i even need to worry about the crossmembers?

i really want to do this, so bad in fact that i bought a 81 zx(near mint, just needs paint) to put it into while i drive my other 81 zx(rust bucket). i have the motor torn apart and received my rebuild kit from summit. i plan on putting the motor back together next week. then by the beginning of march i will be gutting the other car to prep for the 5.0, so i need help quick!!!

kc280zx,

I did some research on this topic last summer when I was going to buy a 280ZX from a neighbor to put a 302 in it. The problem you might run into is that the distance from the firewall to the front crossmember is 3 inches shorter in the ZX than a Z. I wasn't able to measure the placement of Al's crossmember because I didn't own the car or have a 302 at the time. I also think you will run into issues with the steering rack. On a Z it's in front of the crossmember on a ZX it's in back, if it has a rack rather than the recirculating ball configuration. I'm not familiar enough with the recirculating ball setup to comment on it. The other thing to keep in mind is you will need to find a double sump or after market oil pan with the sump in the rear so it will clear the crossmember and steering parts.

When I was looking at doing this I thought you might be able to place Al's mount right behind the existing crossmember, cut the stock mounting towers for clearance and get it in that way but I don't know if it would be far enough forward to clear the firewall. Get out a tape measure and find out. This is a topic many guys have asked about and it would sure be nice to know if it would work. Another thing to measure is hood clearance. I've seen some posts where Al's mount was a tad to high if a person wanted to use the Ford EFI on certain engines in a Z and I think the ZX hood provides less clearance but not sure.

Do the measuring and let us know what you find out. I think the Ford 302 in a either a Z or ZX would make great package. I was headed that direction myself until I ran across a great deal on a Chevy LT1 from a retired Montana Highway Patrol car. I test drove the car before purchasing it and this engine litterally threw this 4000 pound beast down the road, I can hardly wait to see how it performs in my 240Z.

Ken W.