HybridZ

Reliability and Long Term of LS-1 Swap into Z32 300ZX

Guest dynamic_e

Guest dynamic_e

I am contemplating a LS-1 swap in my Z32 2+2, as when thinking about doing a TT swap($4000 for front clip, + labor + rebuild + upgrades) looks to be way out of line when I can do a LS-1/6 speed swap with minor upgrades for a bit less and have right around the same power. I only need about 400hp to make me happy. :D

However, I am wondering about the reliability as well as if it will be able to retain creature comforts like AC, PS, OEM Gauge CLuster. It will be setup to be a nice weather daily driver

Any ideas?

In doing the swap, I can tell you that the reliability of the domestic LS1 and the low cost associated with parts is pretty nice...and if something does break...its significantly less expensive to replace/repair than similar items on the 300ZX VG motors. There is also a much wider selection of aftermarket parts for the LS1 than the VG and those same aftermarket parts are much less $$$.

In the conversion, it is possible to retain those creature comforts. All it is, is just a bit of plumbing for the AC and PS. And I am sure there are some companies out there that can modify the stcok 300ZX gauges to read the signals from the LS1. I installed a gauge cluster from a f-body and you can not tell it is not stock unless you are looking at it dead on and can see the actual gauges. It looks very good. My manual covers most everything you would need to know in the conversion process. IMHO its one of the best conversions you can do... :D