HybridZ

Outside mirrors for 73 240z

dladow

I am wondering what others have done about outside rear view mirrors for the early Z's. I don't want stock mirrors, and I don't want fender mounted mirrors.

I did a search and found Pete's write up on the Tercel mirrors, and saw some references to M3 mirrors and 84 300ZX mirrors. Just wondered what choices people have made for their cars.

I bought a pair of Vitaloni baby turbo mirrors, but because of the angle on the top part of the door, the mounting angle for those mirrors is not satisfactory. Has anyone used those mirrors without fabricating a mounting piece to change the angle?

Thanks,

David

Guest 73TPIZ

David,

give me til tomorrow to post some pics of how i modified those type of mirrors to fit our doors. leaving for dinner right now and won't be back til late. the hole for the ball is too small for much angle. i took my dremel and opened the hole up a little at the bottom to allow the ball to pivot lower. i think they'll work perfect now (not mounting til next week). not much bend in 'em stock but much better now.

later

Guest 73TPIZ

David,

Mine aren't Vitaloni's but cheap knock off turbo's but they should be similar to yours.

you can take a small file and open up the bottom of the ball or a Dremel with the little cutoff wheel as i did. when i go to mount, i may have to remove some more as i set the angle to the driver. i figure 1/3 of the hole from the bottom back to the driver. my peg is square so i squared off the hole. As you can see these mirrors are gonna look pretty sweet on the car. Good luck with yours.

000_0103.JPG

000_0100.JPG

BTW As you know, the mounting surface itself is curved and i haven't addressed that issue yet, i'll prob try to curve the base as best i can with the side grinder without getting into the groove that the boot slips into.

Later