HybridZ

fuel level gauge wiring - quick question

on a 74 260, there are three wires going to the fuel level gauge: yellow, black, and green. Can anybody tell me how to wire the gauge directly to the fuel tank??

this is my guess: black - ground on one of fuel level unit terminals. yellow - hook on the second terminal. green - power source??

any electrical experts can you second that or do I have it wrong? any advice is very very much welcome! thanks in advance.

also.. how do I hook up the ampmeter??

Wow, I have a Haynes shop manual and the print on the wiring diagram for the 260Z is so small it hurts these old eyes. Yes, black from the tank sender to ground and yellow to the gauge. Green is the hot wire in that powers the gauge. So power into the gauge from the green wire through the gauge with the yellow wire going to the variable resistor in the tank sending unit and the black wire out to ground.

I would use a voltage gauge if you can since an amp gauge has to have all the juice running through it to work. Just hook it up to the main feed off of the battery which is usually a very large gauge red wire. A voltage meter reads the voltage available in the system and can be tapped into the wiring system anywhere. One side to a hot wire and the other side to ground.