HybridZ

Interior Parts?

Guest HawaianZ

Guest HawaianZ

I am looking to redo the interior of my '81 280zx. I can not seem to find anywhere to get the new paneling. I am wanting to change from a red interior to a black with chrome trim. Please links on parts sitefor interior. Thanks

Guest HolyLlama

Haven't tried it yet, gonna do it tomorrow if I get the bodywork I need to do done. You can buy vinyl paint which might give you the color you want, I went to autozone and they had the color I wanted, but it was one of three colors, so there might not be a good selection. You could always get duplicolor auto paint and use it on it, dunno how good it would look. I used it to paint hard plastic panels in my car because I got tired of the grey on grey interior. I don't know how it would look on vinyl, though. If the vinyl doesn't turn out like I want it, I got a buddy that upholstered for about 3 years till the shop closed down (owner retired and moved to Texas, it wasn't that they did shoddy work). He offered to do the seats and door panels for me I just had to buy materials and beer. Haven't got a clue how much it would cost to have the work done, though.

Guest bluex_v1

I used some of the vinyl dye on my interior to go from white to black (plastic trim, headliner, visors...everything). I can't remember the brand, but I'm almost positive I bought it at wal-mart, and it was almost $10 for a skinny spray can. The stuff worked awesome though, no rubbing off, scratching or anything. I'm extremely impressed with how well it worked. I applied it over a year ago, and although I haven't had the car out in the sun or anything, it still looks new. If you go that route, just be sure to apply very thin coats.

Guest 81na ZX

Lots of the little bits aren't made by Nissan anymore - like the heater fan knob. Junk yards are definatly the best bet if you have to replace broken/missing bits

There are lots of interior pieces listed in the MotorSport Auto http://www.zcarparts.com/ They sell both factory and reproduction interior parts.

Finding a lot of old Z cars in a junkyard in Hawai'i would be a bit tough. Also, interior parts from an old Z car sitting in a junkyard may not be in very good condition. After all, we are talking about cars that are over 20 years old!

However, I had really good luck with the ZBarn http://www.zbarn.com/ and they can usually can get you what you need.

BTW, using the vinyl dye and the vinyl parts that are in good condition is a great idea. I changed the interior of my 1965 Corvette from tan to dark blue that way. The dye actually soaks into the vinyl and changes the color. In the seven years that I owned the car it never wore through to the old color.

Guest HawaianZ

Thanks for the advise. I think I am going to go with a custom interior vinyl. I found a great sight that has about any color that you could want and even color changing chameleon vinyl. For those would would like to go this way the sight I am going throug is: http://www.yourautotrim.com/

The interior is going to run about $50.00 for the vinyl and about another $30.00 for pading and Custom Shaping foam. This will do aprox. the complete interior including the dash, door panels, all the original plastic parts, console, and headliner.