HybridZ

GTO kit: how many Hours to Install?

TomoHawk

I'm just about ready to put my GTO body on the 280Z. I I just need to know how many hours it should take, so I can figure out the total bill, in case I need to get some more $$$ together.

How long the body prep for paint takes woyld be nice to know- I might have enough to paint it this sunmer too.

thx

Hi Tom,

For my VR so far I have spent approximately overall :

30-40 hours to prep the car - removal of stock body panels, grind old paint off and clean up the body. Includes welding of the reinforcement areas and cuttine the top.

15 hours to test mount the kit - (had some problems with the rear tub - It was me being stupid. I kept measuring the distance and the drivers struts were shot (car wasn't level to begin with))

30 hours to mount the kit - door skins were the hardest

40-50 hours - basic prep to get everything lining up generally - sanding and filling and figuring out lights, etc.

100-120 hours is what my friend who is doing the final bodywork is telling me he will have in for going over the car, making everything line up perfectly. This is including all the primer coats and final painting, etc. (he is about 45 hours into it and is getting close to spray the first primer coat and figures this to be correct)

I generally took my time building the car and had fun. I was new to everything so some stuff took me longer and I made some stupid mistakes. But it is coming along :D

For my VR so far I have spent approximately overall :

30-40 hours to prep the car

15 hours to test mount the kit

30 hours to mount the kit

40-50 hours

100-120 hours doing the final bodywork

I was just thinking about you, Teo... I thought you'd turn up when the snowbirds left! :lol: Reading my notes on this project. My gf's dad lives in Apollo Beach..., I was there a month ago yesterday, kayaking in the canals.

So you will have about 250- hrs total on yours (mine is a GTO, not a VR, you know) I'm having a body shop do mine, and at $50 per hr, it's about $14,000

total. Sound right? I could do some paint prep myself, as well as the electrical & inside.

thx.

Tom,

Unfortunately it is still Snowbird season for another few weeks. :roll: Next time you are down - buzz me. The boats and jetskis are always topped off and ready to go. Apollo Beach is definitely the right place to come and retire - been 80 all week. just my idea of working a few hours a week went away as one of my businesses took off :lol:

That amount of cash stings :cry: to do the car. Mounting the body is not that hard. My guess is a few friends and a couple of weekends and you can have it on and relatively decent. Then you are out 150 hours to the shop.

I lucked out on getting mine finished. Most bodyshops were quoting me around $6-7K to finish the car and a friend of the guys who built my motor asked and begged to do it. He has a body shop and does great work but cut me a huge deal to finish the car and then use it in his ads, etc. So I got lucky with $18 an hour - but it will take them 3 months and that is fine. I still have 2 toys in the garage so I am out of room until one is sold and the other is moved to the east coast and retired to beach duty 8)

Catch ya later and stop by the next time.

Teo