HybridZ

Random info - Z32 NA VLSD

Doug71zt

Guys - I picked up a Z32 N/A R200 VLSD to find out for myself if the carrier can be used in the long-nose R200 diffs. The short answer - not bloody likely...

1> The Z32 VLSD has a spline count the same as an open diff or a clutch type R200. But the RH shaft has to have an extended splined portion to engage the VLSD coupling on the left hand side of the diff, under the ring gear. This is different than the Z31 VLSD (SHIRO or SS), as it has a different spline count than the standard open R200.

2> The Z32 VLSD has 13mm ring gear bolts. Therefore, the carrier is incompatible with the early 10 and 12 mm ring gears without spacers.

3> The Z32 VLSD short-nose case has an identical rear cover bolt pattern to the standard R200 cover, with the exception that it has larger bolts, Therefore the whole Z32 R200 can be installed in an early Z-car with a standard R-200 rear cover drilled for larger bolts and a custom front mount, if you are already building a driveshaft, why not.

4> The gear pitch on the ring and pinion gears is different that the long-nose housing, which results in more tooth contact. This would result in a quieter diff than the old long-nose R200. The ratio is 4.08, If I can remember 53/13.

5> The CV shafts are similar to R230 shafts, requiring a fair bit of work to get them into the early cars. They are wayyyy to long and have a splined mount on the outboard end that is installed through the hub assy. Although - has anyone measured a Z32 or 240SX hub assy for installation in the 240Z suspension stub axle hole? Granted, you will have to machine the bore out, and weld a flange to the end of the tube to bolt the hub assy to, but it would get rid of the stub axle assy and convert to 5 bolt at the same time. Hmmm.....back to the garage - too bad its 5200 miles away right now.

Cheers - Doug

Thanks Doug

This was timely and connects with the current thread on nismo centres.

FYI 4.083 is 49/12.

If it uses 13mm crown bolts is it the same carrier as R230V?

As to the outer stubs on the driveshafts, I know that the stubs aren't long enough for 280ZX-Z31 hubs is that the same for earlier Zs?

As many questions as answers. Neil

Hey Neil - Thanks for the correction on the tooth pitch - that was off of the top of my head from last month and half the world away. I don't think that the carrier is the same as an R230 - That diff is huge and heavy with a much bigger ring gear.

I'm having a problem understanding your last question there - can you add a little more detail?

Thanks - Doug

Hi Doug

Put simply the total shaft length for the outer CV that came off my S13 200SX drive shafts is 110mm and the distance from inner flange to outer flange on the hub is 72mm.

On a 280ZX the rear axle housing is 127mm wide so you would need a shaft of 184mm.

So as you can see unless the rear axle housing was extensively modified it wont work.

The question- is the 240-260-280 rear axle housing any narrower? If not then the above applies to them also. Neil.

Edit -1 Not that it should stop some enterprising person from fabricating a new lower rear assy for 240Z-280Z that incorporates, mounting for rear disc brakes and the multi link rear hub, Thus solving the outer CV problem in R230V conversion and lengthening the driveshaft reducing driveshaft angularity. Cheers Neil.