HybridZ

700R4 Whining!

Guest 77vegasz

Guest 77vegasz

I recently installed a 700R4 into my 280 with a 327. I still have it on jackstands as I have been afraid to run it. The problem arises around 1200 rpm and gets worse as the rpms rise. There is a loud whining noise comming from either the trans or torque converter, I have been unable to determine which as the motor noise and tranny noise are too loud.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what should I look at and what could be the cause?

Please Help,

Jon :cry:

No need to double post, people read all the forums.

You say it's on jackstands, so I take it the rear wheels are turning also. It could be gear noise you are hearing. I would put it on the ground and take it for a short ride. Once the car is sitting on it's own weight the whine may go away. If you still hear it, and you make sure it's not the rear end, it could be the pump in the tranny that the torque converter slips onto.

Guest 77vegasz

Thanks.

I will look at the pump, because it does it in park as well. I bought the trans on line and it was supposed to be freshly rebuilt. It was cheaper than local sources but..... this could be a real bad live and learn experience.

Jon