HybridZ

easy to use water based paint ? opinions please !!!

waynekarnes

http://www.autoaircolors.com/

read about this in current issue of street rodder. they painted, then flamed a hood using this product.

made it look easy ( too easy ).

anyone know any more about this product ?

is it, by chance, just another brand of an existing product ?

makes it look as if i could possibly do a decent paint job, in my portable garage over the RV pad.

in the street rodder article, they were using a heat gun, or hair dryer to flash the paint.

the article made it seem ( but don't they all ) seem as if this stuff was very forgiving . that the average talented person could get a decent paint job at home, provided one sanded the bugs out, resprayed and then took the car to maacco or some place for the clear coat.

they said to spray it on thin, and several coats. using a heat source to dry the paint between coats.

i'm very tempted, to try it ... maybe just the hood to see how i do.

thanks, wayne

i had wondered about that myself ... how does the clear hang on the paint. if i have already color sanded the water color, i'm figuring ... it's gonna have to be clear coated the same day.

don' expect that there would be much base to work with, if i sand again,before clear coat, should i wait a month or so.

never considered that it would run and puddle up like old finger paints. i have shot paint, and spent a good deal of my time cussing and fixing my mistakes, so i am far from being even adequate with a gun.

was looking at this as if it were going to be easier to apply, than laquer or acrylic enamel. seems now, that it may actually be a bit more difficult. guess, no substitute for experience and knowing what one is doing.

thanks, wayne

i was thinking, if i waited a month before i got to a pro painter for the clear coat, i might be in trouble. not have much base coat left to scuff.

still, i would like to try it ... maybe i could splash a bit on my son's baja bug. resale value of the baja, won't really hinge on a mile deep paint job.

my 72 z, is another story. if i go to the trouble of proper body work and prep, i want a good paint job.