HybridZ

air-conditioning??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm no expert in auto air, but theres quite a few options. Companies like Vintage Air who make it for the older rods might be of help. I was fortunate enough that someone had installed it in my Z but had taken it off in the engine compartment. So, the plan for me when I make the V8 swap is to use the Chevy A/C brackets and plumbing forward of the firewall as the cooling coils are already in my car. You could probably do likewise depending on the year (you mention T tops so I assume your Z is a later model than mine) just find all the Datsun A/C equip. for the year of your car and use ALL of it and make a bracket for whatever engine your using (if its non-stock), or use ALL of the Datsun A/C gear (except the Datsun Compressor) and a Chevy compressor and brackets. Of course this would all have to be worked out by a A/C expert, but thats generally how its done from what I've seen.

My 2 cents worth (depending on the strength of the dollar!).

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited October 23, 2000).]

I have a R4 comp in mine It was in the car when I got it. Looks like it was not hard to convert... Mine was locked up when I got it and it cost 107 to replace it. I've sealed up the system but will wait until summer then have it charged again. Summer starts around March here in San Antonio... LOL

V U V8ter

I'm pondering this too as I've gotten lucky enough to stumble on some A/C gear - my car had no A/C when I got it. My plan is to use the stock Datsun stuff, apparently easy to retrofit, and then a Chevy compressor.

The JTR book covers this, if not the Datsun V8 swap then the TPI swap book. I THINK I'll go with stock type mounts but Pete's got A/C on his with homemade mounts and it sounds pretty spiffy. The Street Rod guys have more billet and cast mounts than you can shake a stick at plus I'm told the 'vette has a nice $20 alternator mount (low mount) I might be able to use - I'm trying to get my hands on that one now :-) It can be done!

Guest Anonymous

ok, my car has a/c right now, would it be easyer to use the chevy compressor or the datsun?? i fuiger both are gonna be a pain in the butt, but a/c is a requirment

Guest Locutus

My plan is to use the datsun evaporator and condensor, and a datsun dryer, but use a chevy compressor. Since you probably want to convert to 134a you need to change all the o-rings and flush out the evap, and cond. Reconnect everything evacuate the system make sure it holds a vacuum, then put in about 4-6 ounces pag oil, and fill to 40PSI with R134a regfrigerant. It should be fine, if there are any refrigeration experts here that can comment, please do smile.gif

Mike

Guest Anonymous

One thing I know for sure with either refrigerant. When they tell you how many pounds of it you need and they tell you the price, ask for a chair. R13 is definately cheaper. I had to have my trusty Isuzu truck pumped up (its a 89 and hasn't had any AC work on it since I bought it new) and when they told me how much 3lbs of freon r12 was I nearly needed 911. (and despite what the hype was, R12 is still available, just expense as all get out. I figure thats how they are making people change over, by pricing it out of the market, IMHO.)

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

my brother-in-law(who still owes me for putting the roof on his house) is certified to work on a/c, and my current a/c has been charged(for free!!) and it already has r-134a converson on it.

Guest Locutus

R134a runs about 6-8 bucks a can, I have never needed more than 3 cans to fully fill a newly evacuated system. Now on the other hand R12 seems to run around 30 bucks a can, which is why for the cost of the refrigerant alone, its worth the cost of the conversion(not to mention I already have the 134a guages) just my .02.

Mike