HybridZ

starter and flexplate questions

I am not exactly sure which year 2-bolt sbc 350 I have; I was told is was a 69-73 and the casting no. is 3970010. I have a 700r4 with a 168 tooth flexplate. My question is about my starter application. I had a high torque starter with a dual bolt pattern and it fit fine. I got rid of that one and opted for a stock replacement and I cant find one that fits. The nose of the starter hits the flexplate before it can reach the mounting holes. Do I have the wrong starter or wrong flexplate?

I found out the hard way (by buying, fitting, then exchanging 2 starters) that my block only accepts staggard mount starters. I have one that fits but is not correctly engaging the flexplate. Is it possible to bolt the flexplate on backwards making the distance from the starter gear to the ring gear too far so that it won't correctly engage?

I have a TCI starter (part #356000) that bolts up fine but has an intermittent starting problem due to the heat of the hedder passing within a few inches of the starter. Was advised to change it out to a high torque starter.

Dan H.