HybridZ

tweeters in custom center console

Guest mexlife

Guest mexlife

As i posted earlier, i want to make a custom fiberglass center console.

I was thinking that maybe i can install tweeters facing the driver/passenger in it! The question is: is this a good idea, sound wise? is there a way to keep the tweeter volume lower than the rest of the car (so the highs don't overpower everything else)?

Would it be too much work?

Suggestions, ideas, all welcome!

Luis

Guest Aaron

From a sound perspective, it is a bad idea unless you are running a center channel speaker. I know that in competitions you want everything to sound as if there is a band playing the song sitting in the center of your dash. To get that imaging, right and left speakers need to be properly placed. Typically, tweeters would be mounted in the end of the dash or the windshield pillars and aimed at the opposite seat. (Driver?s side tweeter pointed at passenger seat, and vise versa.) Mid range speakers would be mounted in the doors or kick panels and aimed at the opposite side. If you want to run a center channel, you would want to place a midrange and tweeter in the center of the dash or console. There is two ways to hook it up at that point. You can purchase a center channel processor and small amp to power it (the best way to go), or you can simply take the positive (+) signal from the left and right speakers and hook one up to the positive terminal on the center speaker, and the other to the negative terminal on the speaker. I have done this, and it works surprisingly well. This does effect the impedance of your speaker system, so you must take that into consideration. I used center speakers with higher impedance than the door speakers to keep them quieter. You may need to add a volume control of some sort to keep them down.

Hope this helps.