HybridZ

240Z gauges with Ford senders

gwheeler

So my 500Z is running swell. I just took it to an autocross on Saturday. Besides the old fuel pickup problem in left hand corners, it was a blast!

But I was a little nervous running without oil pressure or coolant temp gauges. So Sunday I decided to hook up the 5.0 senders to the Datsun gauges, and voila! Oil pressure reads about 60 psi, and the temp gauge came up to just under half way when the upper radiator hose got hot (meaning the thermostat opened).

I'd say I'm good to go.

Guest 305240

Now this is interesting. If it works like you say it does, I just saved a few more bucks on my swap. You remember which wires you used? Did by chance, you check it against mechanical gauges? Just curious.

Brad,

When I took the Z engine out, I labeled the coolant temp and oil pressure sender wires. I just hooked them up to the Ford senders. No, I haven't checked against any other gauges yet.

This Saturday I did the 260Z tachometer swap. I picked the tach up for free on the side of the road next to a junkyard! Installing it was a pain in the *** though. You have to pull the entire dash.

As an update, I just had a speedometer cable made for $40 at Nevada Speedometer. They used the Datsun speedo upper end, and a Ford T-5 lower. With a 21 tooth driven gear, I timed the speedo as reading 5% low. I'll change out the driven gear for a 20 tooth, and it should be right on!