HybridZ

400 sbc??

I think a destroked long rod 400 would be nasty in a Z.

Check out the kits at http://www.speedomotive.com

They have some good building tips there too. Read up!

The 2 bolt 400 is said to be better than the 4 bolt, and the 400 runs small base circle cams for clearance of the rod bolts, roller lifters for radical cams. and I've read that at temp the siamesed cylinders won't stay round, making ring sealing a problem (makes me question all the talk about the turbo Z blocks being superior to the others!)

They have steam holes in the decks, that need to match gaskets and heads, any heads can be drilled for these, came with cast cranks and are externally balanced, larger mains.

I doubt any of these things are issues for a street engine.

I have one in a boat and it has much more power than the 350 did, but it's not stock.

My buddy has a 400 sbc in his 240 and it's a class champion autocross car here in Oregon. They are torque monsters. While his only had 285 HP, it does have 500 ft lbs torque. Torque is king, especially in a driver or autocrosser. (even hillclimb for that matter) They do tend to run a bit hot, so you just need to make sure you have a kickin' radiator.

Well I think I am gonna stay with the 350 and im talking to turbomeister about putting a turbo on it ( single) I want it to be a larger one that will spool up about 3-4k and give me a little more in the high end. as far as i figure it gonna stay with the 10:1 comp run about 10psi with an IC that should get me where im going hopefully ill get the engine bored and dipped this weekend or next then i can get started on it

BTW, its goin in a 85 na :twisted: