HybridZ

Rebuilding my VG30DE....

CasperIV

While I am still undecided to as what swap I eventually want to do to my Z32, I do know I will need to rebuild this NA engine to survive while I continue my research. The engine is approaching the 190,000 mile mark, and I plan on doing the rebuild just past 200,000. While it's out of the car I will replace all the belts, fly wheel, water pump, and whatever else looks like it's in need or work. Now, since this car is slow and under powered, I plan to add a NOS setup. Do you think it's worth the money to rebuild with forged pistons and better rods?

Guest bastaad525

heheh so you took my advice :)

Well... for one I'm curious what makes you sure you NEED a rebuild? Nissan engines in general are very good engines, and tend to last longer than your average engine might, assuming of course they've been well maintained. Never owned a VG powered car myself but I've had two L28 ZX's that had well over 200,000 on them, 290,000 was the highest one, and the motor it had was stock and still ran great, fired right up every day, used almost no oil (I think what little it used was from a leaky oil pan gasket) and read good compression. There's a good chance you're motor is still in great shape.Though I will say if you really are planning on running nitrous than yeah a rebuild might not be a bad idea. If you really want to go all out and have a faster car and are gonna rebuild the motor eitehr way, why not look into some upgrades there as well? Try to raise the compression, get a better cam, and work the heads... you can make some decent power on an N/A w/o breaking the bank and before adding the NOS.

I'm really hard on engines. I can spend most of the time shifting at like 4,000 rpms, then all of a sudden I'll get into a run and it will see 6,500. I'm mostly afraid of gaskets going out, but since I have to pull it to easily change all the seals and gaskets, I will replace everything at once.