HybridZ

an electric supercharger that might actually work.

Guest bastaad525

I saw a writeup in a rice magazine... I forget if it was Turbo magazine or which one it was, wasn't SCC though I know that, but they actually strapped one of these on, to an altima I believe, and did before and after dynoing and showed really good results. Keep in mind though that they're billing this thing as more of an alternative to nitrous than a real turbo alternative, as it is designed to only be operated in short bursts, up to like 15 seconds, and then needs a cool down period. Ideal for drag racing or maybe passing but not much else. Otherwise the unit got the thumbs up, but I believe they advised the longer you might wait to get one the better, as the battery technology keeps improving, getting smaller, lighter, more reliable, easier/quicker to charge, etc. etc.

The dyno left no doubt that this unit definately works, I think they got like 60hp gain at the wheels, even more... and finally enough to blow the engine. That should say more than enough

Im sure with some minor modifications to the electric motors and a better alternator, you would have much better charge times. I think that someone with some good slectronics skill could improve upon the limitations of this type of setup. Granted it isnt cheap, its just and idea that has flopped alot that someone has finaaly REALLY devolped into a functional device. I think that instead of running a 15 second shot off of the battery packs they should use the alternator to charge the battery pack that would in turn charge some type of capacitor(just a thought though ihave limited knowledge) The wait could prove to be a problem though.

• 9 months later...
Guest tony78_280z

There are kits available to run multiple alternators and multiple batteries. Never saw a need for it except high power audio systems, and maybe this. Boosthead and eRam are simply air ram systems that are powered by a fan isntead of wind force. They top out at about 1-2psi. They don't realy produce the boost that a turbo/supercharger does. But one doesn't need to modify their motor or fuel system for this low boost to work. It is interesting idea. Not sure how it'd hook up to a 350ci carbed motor though. The intake faces upwards so it'd require a bend and...

Guest tony78_280z

How much frickin power does it need? I mean, it's gonna nail a secondary back up battery flat in 15 seconds? I think the recharge time may be more of a 'fan cool down time' to keep it from burning up. But I dunno if $700.00 is cost effective for a 15 second 1-2psi gain. It is an interesting THEORY.

Boosthead and eRam are simply air ram systems that are powered by a fan isntead of wind force.

actually the boosthead ones are true superchargers mated with electric motors (that resemble starter motors most likely due to their very high torque output that would be required to create boost).

the boosthead chargers make much more than 1-2 lbs. of boost. i believe on the altima they had it, at the least, at 6 lbs. of boost but i'm pretty sure they ran it up to about 12 if memory serves.

so far, these are the only true electric superchargers out there that i've seen.

correction:

on the esc-400 on the altima they've ran it between 4 and 8 pounds of boost. (with the capability to do much more i'm sure) (the esc-400 is a roots type s/c with the electric motors. they have new ones out that are using a centrifugal type compressor with electric motors. the top centrifugal setup (esc-350ch) can make 8-12 psi)

Guest tony78_280z

Ok, 6psi for 15 seconds could make a big difference. An occasional 6psi might play havoc on a ECU, and I know you'd need to over jet a carb a bit. So In a carb you'd be running rich most of the time just for an occasional 15 second boost. With Holley adjust a jet kit, the jetting could be easily changed for a drag race or something. I'd rather have a constant 2psi than a 15 second 6psi.But is it still worth the money?

Guest bastaad525

The thomas knight one I read about, installed on an Ultima in one of the car mags I have, was set to run either 12 or 14 psi of boost, I think they were augmenting fuel with an RRFPR. Anyways, I seem to recall them saying they could run way more boost than even this if they wanted to but thought the engine could not stand it. Sure enough they did end up toasting the motor at the lower boost number.