HybridZ

need help cant find answer

Guest Graffix

Guest Graffix

allright here goes it, I own a 76' 2+2 280Z i had a knock in the engine so i started to look into other options which i came up with a complete 81 280ZX turbo car for 400$. so my question is do i really have to use the E.C.C.S.? as far as i know a turbo is mechanical correct? if i dont have to use the computer then i would really like to avoid that. if you can go without it is there someone who has done it this way? Im going to pull the turbo motor this weekend. well let me know what you guys think the whole wiring harness and everything is there on the car so i just want to know if i can do it that way and if i do does the car run allright?

Thank you for any help you guys give me

Bruce

76'280Z 2+2 soon to be turbo

Guest Aaron

More experienced members will chime in, but I would say that you would definately would want to use the ZX computer and harness. I don't believe the older FI system will be able to compensate for the increased air provided by the turbo. Many even upgrade to the 300ZX computer in order to have a little more tuneability (is that a word?) and room to turn up the boost.

Guest bastaad525

You CAN run the turbo motor on the N/A 280z EFI, but it's NOT recommended if you have the full ECCS available. Why are you so against using it? Installing it is probably easier than you think. To get mine in it only took splicing six wires into the cars power and ignition and a couple other things... not hard. If you try to run the N/A EFI you'll need some extras like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and a boost ignition timing retard unit, to make it anywhere near safe. But again, this option is more for people who just CANT get ahold of a full ECCS, and isn't really the best option, and it's not going to run as good as it could/should. Tuning it is gonna be a pain as well.

Unless you have some reason to believe the ECCS in the turbo car is bad or unusable, I'd say bite the bullet and install it and run the car the right way.