HybridZ

so ive been thinking about the northstar engine...

N2744

originally, i wanted to swap a 350 into my project 240z. but the weight just kept bothering me because everything i appreciate about cars is about saving weight and handling and all that stuff. so then my mind was set on an sr20det. but lately, the prices are on the rise and i just dont think theyre worth 2500. so i have avalable to me a northstar engine for about 500. it appeals to me mostly because its all aluminum and lightweight. i have found a company selling custom bellhousings to mate to a world class t5 transmission. so what about this swap? what are your all opinions on the swap itself? i think i might do it. and dont try and tell me about how that engine sux or something. thanks for your opinions.

-Nick

Nick,

The engine does not suck! The web page you were probably refering to was Cadillac HotRod Fabricators, right? It's a awsome engine and there has been talk of it here. If you look at the top of the page, there is a "Search" button. Click it and enter "Northstar". There is 4 pages worth of information for you to read :wink: .

Also, the weight of a SBC compared to the inline 6, isn't that much of a difference.

!M!

ive already read the 4 pages of information on this site by using the search button. thats how i found out the information like the bellhousing cadillac hot rod fabrications makes. i only have a couple posts on this site for a reason. because for the 2 years ive been reading this site, i have relied only on the search button for my source of information. but for this, i wanted some fresh opinions and maybe additional info because i think about to go for this swap and its kind of a big deal.

-Nick

I'm not knocking CHRFab, but their prices are a little high on some things. But, I guess if you're the only game in town... Anyway, Northstars are good motors but have headgasket and headbolt thread issues. Once that's resolved, they're OK. I think the biggest issue you'll have to get around is the rear mounted water pump and assembly. CHRFab has some pieces to work around that. I'm theorizing that an external waterpump like one out of a water cooled VW Vanagon might be plumbed into place.

It also seems to me that if you had a GM S10 2.8L V6 bellhousing, you could have it modified yourself for not much coin. 94-95 2.2L S10 bellhousings have the GM 60 pattern on the block side and the Ford T5 pattern on the tranny side. I should also point out that the 96-02 2.5L Dodge Dakota bellhousing can be used to bolt up the Toyota Supra Turbo R154 5-speed to the Northstar. So, you have a few choices. All have to be modified of course.

Recently, I've found that the flywheel from a 3.23.5L Isuzu Trooper has it's bolt holes less than an eighth of an inch off from the Northstar pattern. The flywheel is the same diameter as the Northstar one. Could be that by elongating the holes a bit and having a spacer made to center the flywheel on the Caddy snout, you may save yourself quite a few bucks.

Greg