HybridZ

Couple of questions concerning wiring for gauges...

Jeromio can probably give me a good answer since he's been working with an LS1, but I'd like any opinions that you guys can come up with.

So far, it's come down to basically 2 options on how to wire up the gauges in my Z32 with the LS1 engine and PCM.

1) Have the LS1 computer wiring harness sent to Dana Dash and have him rework the harness to fit the Z32 gauges. Then I'd have to get the LS1 computer reprogrammed to fit the Z's specs. (I'm pretty sure that's what would need to be done)

OR

2) Find a gauge cluster from another LS1 vehicle, (Camaro, Trans-Am, Corvette), and just plug it on and have the gauges recalibrated for the Z32 specs.

Now, I'm REALLY leaning towards option number two, but I need to know a few things...

1) Would that work?

2) The LS1 ECM I have is from a 98 Trans-am, woul di be able to use a (for instance) lets say 2001 Corvette gauge cluster with the 98 computer?

Remember I'm not asking about whether or not the needles will go to the right places, once they are calibrated and I get an editing program, that will be fine. I just need to know if the clusters could be interchangeable possibly. :confused:

Let me know any sort of ideas you guys may have. I'll start asking the LS1 guys after I get a few ideas.

Thanks!!

-Vann

I should probably wait until I have the service manuals in front of me (other PC), but I don't think the instrument clusters are directly interchangeable between C5 and FBody. They have different harnesses, etc. I'm sure you could get either to work, just a matter of head scratching. As to the years, I tink there is a big difference between 98 and 99+ for the PCMs. Actually, the 98 engines apparently have quite a few differences as well (things like the gaskets, water pumpe, some minor other parts). But yeah, the PCM's are physically different as well as the programming.

97-98: PCM9798LS1_a.jpg

99+: PCM9902LS1_a.jpg

I think you should also post this question to the conversions board over at http://ls1tech.com. John at http://Speartech.com is very knowledgeable and he along with some other very smart people post over there fairly regularly.

I am planning on making up some hybrid gauges using the FBody cluster. I'm gonna take it apart and adapt the inards to the datsun guages. It'll be highly unpretty. But I'm poor.

In your case, I'm guessing that the Z32 guages are all electric - including speedo. Yes? If so, I think option 1 would be the easiest by far. No cutting and cloodging, just wiring and calibrating. I actually don't see the benefit in sending the harness to anyone for this purpose. All the gauge wires are pretty easy to find. I mean, if you are talking about sending him just the Guage harness (am I spelling that right?) so you can just plug it into the engine harness, yeah, that would make it easier. But, otherwise, just matching up the oil, water, fuel and speedo lines to the guages - that's pretty easy. If you don't already have some kind of LS1 shop manual (got mine, a complete GM factory service manual on CD offa ebay for $50), they've posted the PCM pinouts on http://ls1.com FAQ page.

Wow!

Always WAY more helpful than asked. Thanks for all the info.

The Z32 gauges are all electric so I guess I'll be looking to just wire the LS1 ECM direct to them.

When I was talking about sending it off, that was referring to the entire engine wiring harness. Dana Dash takes them and modifies them to fit... well, I'm not even sure how I'd benefit from it. Hell, I'll just do it myself, I love a challenge! :D

I'll definately have to pick up one of those manuals before I start. My biggest concern right now is about keeping the AC (cluster controls and such)... i think I may be ok since the AC brain is housed seperately from the Z32 ECU, i think. It's gonna be one hell of a mess trying to get all that wiring done, but it'll be worth it, I just need to get some EE (Eletrical Engineering) skills working for me.

I'll take a BUNCH of pictures of my dash and ECU and such in my Z32 so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. That should make it a hell of a lot easier to get an idea of what's going on.