HybridZ

87 bolt in diff?

Guest plainswolf

Guest plainswolf

Guys I have a late 260 with an R180 that I want to swap to an R200. (I do have a 79 R200 3.364 diff but I wouldn't mind nudging that up to a 3.54 or a 3.70)

Exactly what years of diffs will be a bolt in swap or pretty close to it in 1st. generation Zcars?

Will an 87 diff work?..I know that z31 CV's will work but what about the diff and the axles? etc..

This may be a good reference for all of us to keep..

All R200 diffs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Z cars will all swap around just fine with a a few exceptions...

LSD R200's (with a finned cover) will not fit unless you change the rear cover, or modify the rear brace.

LSD's from an 88 SE (white 300zx) use different side output shafts that are not compatible with the UV style halfshafts used in first gens.

Some R200's have different input flanges. some are round, some are more square, and I think some are a larger diameter round flange.. (mostly differences from 1st and 3rd gens.)

Most R200 in first gens are 3.54.

Most R200 in later 280zx's are 3.9,

Most R200's in 300zx's are 3.7.

There are several exceptions to the gear ratios mentioned above. The difference being from turbo to non turbo's, and 2+2's... There are too many subtle differences by year/ model for me to repeat here..

Sorry if it is a bit patchy... You have to be somewhat careful which diff you choose, but 90% of the R200's are easily swappable.