HybridZ

About to buy 240z for 302 drop. I'm new.

What do you recommend me looking for as far as the engine? I hear something about some front stump problem. As far as money how much more am I looking at after the initial 3k I'm spending on the car to put this together? Carbed or EFI? What are 1/4 times on stock 5.0 motors? Thanks for any extra advice you can offer.

• 1 month later...

Titanium,

I'd recommend a 5.0 H.O. out of a Lincoln LSC '88-90. It's the same as 5.0 H.O. in a Mustang but they have usually not seen the abuse that the Mustang motors have. I picked up one last week out of an '89 for $500.00 that was showing 105,000 that has over 150# compression on every cylinder. The early ones had forged pistons, roller cam, all the good H.O. stuff without having been run hard and put up wet.

If you want to run the fuel inj. Winsor Fox or Painless wireing have a harness that you can use to interface with the Z for around $500.00 I believe. I changed mine over to a carb. to get it running on the test stand, but by the time you buy the intake, carb., new steel gear dist. you have about as much as the harness costs.

Adios Amigos,

Capt. Zorro is right about the LSC engines....pretty much the same without the abuse. Sometimes you can also get them cheaper since they are "just" a Lincoln engine vs. a Mustang engine. The Fox body oil pan, which also comes on the LSC engine, is probably easier to work with since it has a small sump in front and a large rear sump. The small front sump is positioned over the front crossmember so a larger one will interfere. If you use Alsil's mount you will have use the Fox body pan as the crossmember runs between the front and rear sumps.

I went with the EFI since I only wanted to do the swap once. The Ford EFI is very simple and there is no reason to go to the aftermarket for a harness unless you want a brand new harness with only the essential wires. I chose to use the factor harness from a Mustang and found the wiring to be one of the easiest parts of the swap. You can have the engine running quickly with anywhere from six to thirteen wires hooked up. Very simple. The one area that you will need to make a decision on carb or EFI early is the fuel system. The carb'd setup requires only one fuel line and a low pressure pump while the EFI setup requires a feed and return line and an EFI fuel pump for higher flow and pressure. It's easiest to install all of this before installing the engine.

As for stats...first and only time I have taken it to the drag strip I ran four runs right at 13.1X with trap speeds of 105 and 106mph. This was done starting in second gear at idle and pampering the car on the shifts. I didn't want to break it. The only modifications were a cam and headers.

Good luck on the swap.

Josh