HybridZ

Lexan... Can it be painted?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I was wondering if one could paint a clear coat on lexan or other opaque colors for that matter.

I did a search here and on the net, came up empty handed.

I was thinking a clear coat might give it some protection from scraching

Sure you can paint Lexan. But I don't see why. It will protect the Lexan from getting scratched but the clearcoat will get scratched just as easily. Lexan can be buffed and polished if scratched. I don;t think that painting it would help at all. Maybe others differ. I make architectural models for a living and use plex for 99% of the models. Since both plex and Lexan are so similiar I feel that I have experience working with and painting. It does take paint really well though. Plus painting something that is to remain clear is hard. You have to make sure there is no dust and that your coat is perfectly even. Cause any little dust or uneveness will show and look like crap. You can probably get some kind of protective film to place over it. Not too sure. Good luck

R/C car bodies are made of Lexan. They get painted from the inside though, so no scratch inhibiting qualities there. Normal rattle can paint tends to flake off of lexan, Pactra makes a special type of paint for R/C car bodies that adheres well, but it only comes in flat as it is designed to be applied to the backside of clear lexan. A lot of safety glasses (also lexan) are coated with something designed to reduce scratching, maybe try a web search for that. Hope this helps,

Mike