HybridZ

forged piston coatings?

Guest Tim78zt

Guest Tim78zt

Hi Guys!

Just got a new set of forged turbo pistons and a local Nissan guy recommended having the skirts hard-anodized and teflon-coated. What say you? Should I go to this expense? Pros/Cons? Cost?

I had my old cast pistons ceramic-coated on the crowns and the coating didn't seem to hold up. Not sure how much I gained other than lightening my wallet a little.

All comments welcome!

Tim78zt

• 2 weeks later...

The only people I've seen doing hard anodizing or teflon coatings were building competitive race cars. I have no idea what kind of horsepower it actually gave but I would guess at the most around 5 -10 at the crank, as a result of better efficeincy. What is it going to cost you?

I know ceramic coatings on pistons and heads work. The benefit is not just from adding the coating, but ceramics shunt heat and keep hotspots from forming in the combustion chamber. From that effect, you can run more boost without detonation. I don't know exact numbers, but I have seen supercharged cars able to run 10psi of boost without an intercooler, where as without the coating they were only running 7psi of boost (this is probably on the conservative side of what they could run). As to it longevity, there is a guy I work with in a whipple charged jeep. He's always opening up his engine, I'll ask him if that coating of his is holding up (I think he used swain or jet hot) on his forged pistons.

Guest Tim78zt

I haven't found anyone to do the process yet so I have no idea of the cost. I think a Swain-type treatment is in the $170 to $180 range for all 6 pistons.

Tim

I asked my coworker about the flaking coating (he used jet-hot) and this is what he got from jet hot. The coat may flake, but as long as all of it did not flake off, it will still do what it is supposed to do. You may loose that nice shiny layer but the reflective thermal properties are still there.

My camaro headers did the same thing on engine break in. That pretty polished aluminum look is now a dull grey but it is still cool enough to touch 5 minutes after the engine is shut off. I hope that is all I loose, it seems to have stabilized, but it hasn't seen that type of heat since break in. That's something else you probably don't want to do, break an engine in with those nice new ceramic coated headers. It was painful to watch that thing turn from shiny to dull grey :cry:

I've often thought about trying to do the coating myself. I think it just sprays on and then you have to cure it in an oven. Of course you don't want to use the oven you cook in!

Guest bytes

although not a datsun, but it still applies.

i have sent my honda pistons to swain tech to have TBC and PC9 done.

ran around $40 per piston, the coating is extremely hard and does not chip away. FWITW

stan