HybridZ

clutch problem

Guest BrandenZ

Guest BrandenZ

I recently purchased a 1973 240Z that is in near fully restored condition minus the brakes and the fact that the clutch slips. The previous owner told me that a Centerforce II clutch was put in the car no more than 5-7k miles ago.

Anyway, under high load the clutch slips really bad. 4th gear I can break it w/ 30% throttle delivery. Heck, I can make it slip just by upshifting at around 4.5k from 1st and popping the clutch out on a 2nd gear shift. Also, the engagement point on the clutch is WAY late (almost all the way out) and feels very soft.

The previous owner thought that the slave cylinder might just need bleeding, but bleeding it didn't appear to resolve anything. It could just use a really good bleed, I suppose. Also, I had someone depress the clutch while I watched the SC and the rod appears to extend fully out.. so I think the SC is okay. I also can't find any evidence of oil.. so I don't think the rear main seal is dumping oil on it. I _do_ have a transmission fluid leak.. but it's coming from the Speedometer drive assembly attached to the very rear of the tranny.

Any ideas? Why would a "new" clutch exhibit these sort of problems? Everything to me seems indicitive of a very worn clutch, but I'm hoping there is some trick I'm missing that will make this Centerforce clutch come to life. Lastly.. since I have a sinking feeling it will come to this.. how nasty is it to get to the clutch in one of these babies? Thanks!

Sounds like you have an adjustment problem with the pedal/clutch master cylinder, or the slave/clutch fork. Does it have an adjustable pushrod on the slave/clutch fork down on the tranny? If so, you need to loosen it up so the clutch fork has a little bit of free play. Sounds like you are running around with the clutch half-engaged. Get a service manual and make sure that all the set-up is correct before going through all the work of pulling the tranny. FWI - With a hoist, it takes me less than an hour to get the clutch out of my car, in the driveway - plan for a nice Sat. full.

Good luck