HybridZ

BOV question-to vent or not to vent aka intercooler by idiot

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I've got an 83 280ZXT with a DSM blow off valve and a crappy set of high heat (probably dryer spec) Home Depot type hosing which sends the valve gases back to the hole they cut in the lower intake (near MAS). This has very often popped off when I cut in the clutch and send sudden pressure out through the hose/clamps popping, car stalling out (sensing a high resultant drop in air flow, I'm told). The idiot who put this set up together wasn't me, but I'm trying to decide if I might just let the tube running out of the BOV vent straight out (its only 1 foot long, and I hope the sound won't be too obnoxious), and then I might just cap or fold the hose running out of the intake with a clamp, etc, making sure no air can enter it. Is this a kosher/reasonable set up? It is a lot cheaper than having the mechanic replace the entire air intake shroud which the I/C installer cut a hole in...but he makes no educated statement as to anything being functionally WRONG or damaging with direct to air BOV output...most install manuals say to put the output back into the intake..so I dunno!

Thanks

John

It can be done either way,however its concidered a better setup to re-circulate that air back into the system.Mine vents to the atmosphere because of the type of BOV I bought (no provisions for re-circ).Its supposed to help keep your turbo spooled.I see your from Framingham,I'm from Pepperell just south of Nashua.There will be some fine Z's at the car show in Manchester NH this sat by the Verizon ctr down town.Come on up if you can make it and say hello.Brad