HybridZ

87 Lincoln 5.0 question

Guest 2FordEZ

Guest 2FordEZ

Hey, ya'll!

I've been sitting by, reading posts for over a month now, and I finally have the guts to post one of my own. I am not a new Z owner. I've had several over the years, but I am recently back in the fold!

I got a lead on an 87 Lincoln Continental 5.0. The intake reads "5.0 EFI".

Is this the "dreaded" speed density 5.0?

I have a '70 240 that I am going to drop a 5.0 in. I just have to decide which 5.0. Most posts say 89-94 are best, because they are MAF. I don't intend to do alot of mods, so would a speed density be that bad?

Thanks for your help

Coby :-D

Coby,

I believe the 1987 Lincoln Continental has the standard speed density 5.0L Ford engine. These engines are a non-performance based engine used in pretty much everything other than the Lincoln LSC and Mustang. These engines are down on power compared to the 5L High Output engines found in the LSC and Mustang but are good building blocks if you are going to replace everything on the engine anyway. The main differences between the standard and HO engines are the heads, pistons and cam. The heads on the HO engines flow a little better, the cam is a little more aggressive and has the 351W firing order vs. the standard 302 firing order and the piston are cast vs. forged in the HO.

If you are looking for a basic engine to complete the swap this engine will work but you will be giving up some power to a stock HO engine. As far as modifications go with speed density, it's difficult to say. Most cam swaps in an SD car will cause driveability problems but some people have been able to get away with it. The reason the MAF EFI is popular is that the EFI is able to adjust for increased airflow demands based on the measurements supplied by the MAF.

I hope this helps some.

Josh

Guest 2FordEZ

Josh

Thanks for the input! I went ahead and bought the thing. The guy had $500 or best offer. I got it for $250. :wink: It runs and drives like a champ, so I figured, what the heck. I've seen MAF conversion kits for about $600. I figure I could do that or even change to a carburetor.

BTW, I hear the Lincoln AOD had a longer tail shaft. I had planned on using the AOD, but, if I have problems, I'll go T5. Terry Oxandale is a fellow ARkie and seems to be pretty sharp on that stuff, so I may be shifting on my own rather than through a slushbox.

Thanks, I'll be in touch more now...I got the fever! :twisted:

coby