HybridZ

OK, What am I doing wrong? with pics

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

After measuring countless times, digging into the archives looking at various pics, getting all my ducks in a row, I'm finally ready to test fit my 302 into my 240. First, I thought I was in luck finding the 81 granada 302. It had the small front sump, exhaust manifolds looked like they will work without steering mods. I wanted the C4 auto because of bad knees.

Anyway, I finally get it stuffed in there. I have about 3/8" clearance between the front of the pan and cross member. The pan just sets below the bottom of the cross member. The harmonic balancer is about 5/8" above the cross member and sets behind the steering rack, but with enough clearance for the alt pully. (See pic)

The lt head is super close to the firewall. 1/4" meby? (see pic) Now, the trans tailshaft will no way align up with the diff. I got the left/right set, but it's about 4" below the diff pinion! I cannot raise the tailshaft any higher. It just won't go. The mount on the trans is about 3 to 4" behind the trans mount on the car. The car is a 72 240.

Possible I need a different oil pan? Is there a difference in C4's? So far, I've got about 300 bux tied up into the whole thing including the car. Or should I just scrap the idea and go with a SBC?

real_close.jpg

too_close.jpg

Btw, the engine is getting a complete rebuild.

You might check out the following web-site.

http://zcar.netdojo.com

Al Silveria put the site together to document his 302 swap into a 240Z. His engine is higher and further forward than yours but there's tons of information there. He also makes a crosmember mount for swapping a SBF into a Z. The last I heard it was $125.00 shipped to you and very high quality.

Here are some pictures of what I did with the Datsun transmission mount. I'm installing an LT1 but you might be able to use the same method to relocate the mount for your swap. I'm installing a T5 not an auto.

normal_crossmember1.JPG

normal_crossmember2.JPG

I have since trimmed the "ears" off the hangers which makes it look better and provides more clearance for exhuast.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

Wheelman

Guest 305240

The more I think about it, I do believe you are right wheelman. It's setting too far back as well as down. Where did I get the notion it had to be as low and far back as possible? Chevys? God, I do miss my memory. Old timers desease sure sucks at times.

Guest 305240

Wheelman was right...Thanks...I set it up with the trans mount. Everything fell into place then. I put the stock exhaust manifolds on, plenty of steering clearance. I'm going to remove the 240 mounts to make room for the oil filter. The mech fuel pump will have plenty of room also. I may have to go with a smaller starter, as things look a little tight for the exhaust in that area. I'm getting the mounts fabed up as soon as my friend can find the time. All in all, it looks good. Pics to follow as soon as I can get them.

Do a search for Ron Tyler front diff mount. Pete P. has some nice pics. This mount will let you lower the nose of the diff for better alignment. It also doubles as a snubber so you don't have your driveshaft crashing into the parking brake parts.

Guest 305240

Thanks Dan, I've already got it and it's being made now. I like what it does. BTW, I'll never get tired of looking at those sweet lines of your Z. Awsome!