HybridZ

valve cover breather tube?

i need a new valve cover breather tube for my 81 280zx...

none of the local parts stores have it or can get it and sia di have to go to the dealer.... well the dealer cant get it either.

does anyone have one i can buy or where can i find one?

Guest bastaad525

yep... I made one a long time ago using some regular rubber hose from auto parts store, and using some small sections of plumbing pipe for the really sharp bends (couple 45-90 degree bends). It wasn't pretty but it worked and passed smog legally that way at a test only station.

so without the spark arrestor, and being home made, with regular rubber hosing, it will still pass smog?

thats been the dilemma. i have to pass smog legally this time around, and was worried about that.

thanks guys. i love you all. ahaha

Guest Hubbo

I understood that the spark arrestor was inside valve cover (insider the metal outlet elbow), and not part of the hose plumbing.

We don't have smog testing here in Oz, but I don't see why a 'home made' rubber will be a problem. As long as it passes air and doesn't leak.

Guest bastaad525

the baffles are built into the the valve cover itself, as hubbo said.

And when I took my ZX to smog, with my Home Depot valve cover vent setup, it passed visual inspection no problem, this was at a state test only place, in california... the strictest of the strict on both counts.

They dont really care what you use as long as it's connected where it's supposed to be and, again, as hubbo said, doesn't leak. If you're at all in doubt do like I did, roll by a smog place and ask one of the techs to take a quick look and tell him what you plan to do... he'll tell you right on the spot if that's something they'd let pass or not.