HybridZ

I/C questions (UPDATE, more q's, I/C or better exhaust?)

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Cygnus - that's good to hear... the price difference between silicone elbows and rubber elbows is HUGE, rubber being like $20, silicone being no less than $50 each!!!

I'm running into another problem though in that the intercooler is not as perfectly sized as I once thought... it's actually a bit too long, and really doesn't leave room to use the same rubber elbows as are included in that Ebay kit... it looks like I will need something with a much sharper radius turn, almost a flat 90*, right angle turn right there, as opposed to the more gradual curve of those hoses in your pic, to pass thru the stock holes in the rad support. I'm having a lot of trouble finding something that will work here, unless I go with the aforementioned $60 silicone elbows. After many hours on the phone and on the internet today, I have yet to order or buy even one part to get this install underway :? I may have to enlarge the holes in the rad support

Cronic - *shrug* stock '81-83 EFI seems to always limit right about here. I've seen several 280zxt motored Z's dyno using the stock EFI system, and they almost always have two very noticeable characteristics, one is that they always run super rich, 10:1 ish, in the midrange (which mine did) and two is that they always start leaning out big time after about 4500rpm. At 10psi w/o an intercooler they get too lean to be safe (about 13:1, which mine also did) after about 5000rpm. This was even after I installed a much better fuel pump. The I/C, though it will help with temps and fight detonation, will also cause the mixture to go MORE lean and encourage it at the same time.... I dont think I'll be able to get away with 10psi at the manifold on bone stock EFI.

As long as I don't LOSE any power, and gain the extra safety of cooler air, I'll be happy :) Extra fuel won't be TOO hard or expensive to come by and once that's in there then all bets are off!