HybridZ

Chevy 502?

Has anyone tried to make a sleeper with a 502 in it? I have pictures of a 454 in a Z but it's not a sleeper for sure. The engine is snug against the firewall and the valve covers are past the hoodline, the hood would basically be one big hole, if he put it on. Although he also has a blower on it, I wonder if he can see from the drivers seat, watch that right turn. If I knew how to add a picture I would add it here, I don't have a website to point to.

Actually Ron ran mid 8's in the 1/4 and If my memory serves me well it was a 468. I could be wrong on the displacement but not his times.

By the way we have a member that has run faster on a small block. 8.30-8.40's. I think his name is John.

Mike

Thanks zfan as I couldn't remember the exact time and speed that Ron turned and couldn't find his site anymore.

Here is an interesting link that Pete Paraska http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/ has on his site for a guy, Michael Ol, that was going to convert to a 502 but ended up with a 454 (which is the same physical size). http://alteredz.com/MichaelOlsBBZ.htm It required an amazing amount of cutting and welding but the end result looked like a stock 1978 280Z!!!!

And here I thought I had just had another senior moment!

I found this October 13, 2003 post by Ron Jones "The 555 was a 540ci that had already been in the car.The car has been 8.56@160 with that set up.Other than opening up the motor to 555CI,it will also have two 1050 Dominators on a Edelbrock Victor 2-R Tunnel Ram,insted of the single 1050 that was on a Dart single plane intake.I go back and forth all the time with selling or keeping this Car.I would like something New,but keeping it doesn't bother Me eaither.It is a totaly Cool Car. "

So it wasn't a 502 but a 555!!!!!!! :shock:

Thanks, I couldn't find anything with the search feature of this site. You guys are awsome.

Now the only question for me is... do I blow my wad on the 383 and save myself all that cutting and welding (although I do know how to weld, I need a lot of practice to do anything that'd be show quality, or do I spend about the same on a 502 (BTW same tranny 700R4 I believe works with both) and then go nuts trying to make it look stock?

I really want a quiet daily driver that could trick one of those Cobra GT's to race me and then POW I'm gone faster than he could say "HOLY S***!" Of course I only race 0-speed limit then I stop, all I don't need is an exhibition of speed on my record to match the two speeding tickets. I usually win with my Prelude Si, but it's virtually totaled right now (not worth fixing, won't pass CA smog).

Thanks all.

I know that Ron had his Z for sale, not sure if he sold it or not. You can have a small block put the hurts on all the cobras you want if you just pick the right parts. My little old small block could pass for a 283 just looking at it. It's a 414 but you could still tell them its a 283 :D . Small dampner, internal ballance, yea, its a 283 just a real fast 283 :wink: .