HybridZ

Intercooler piping size? Whatza good size?

Guest 2slo4u

Guest 2slo4u

Thinking of running a relatively small i/c from a mazda 626 and wondering if I should just use the same tube size as the tb and the turbo outlet. Will this help to prevent pressure loss since the tubing is smaller. Wouldn't it also keep the air moving faster through the tube and prevent heat absorption from the tubing better? I know that when you slow the velocity of the air it will release or absorb heat easier, kinda like when it's in the i/c, will release heat easier when slowing in the i/c.

I noticed some people using larger tubing than the turbo and tb have. Wouldn't the air absorb more heat on it's way back from the intercooler like this? I learned a little about thermodynamics in school and hope to use this to my advantage if possible to make my car quicker. All you air velocity and pressure drop gurus feel free to bombard me with facts and figures. I won't take offense, just trying to learn.

81zxturbo all fun

95slobaru destined to be slo

I know you (and others) do not want to hear this, but do not use that I/C. That I/C was designed to support an engine that made LESS HP than the L28ET did w/o an I/C. When I say designed to support, I mean the amount of air it can flow for the HP the engine will make and to dissipate the heat. The point of putting an I/C on the L28ET is so you can increase the HP. More HP means more flow and heat which is more than the small I/C can effeciently handle so you now have a restriction. So, what do you do? The turn up the boost some more at the turbo so the engine can get more net boost. More boost on a system wih a restriction increases heat and back pressure. So.......well, I hope you get the idea.

Guest 2slo4u

... So one of those smaller saab intercoolers would be out of the question?... I do like the way some of the guys on this site are running the return tube around the radiator for simplicity, but not for efficiency, so many choices, so little $. Maybe a small npr?

81zxturbo

95slobaru