HybridZ

need an idea of what and where to buy (ford) 73 240z

Guest BIGSHOT357

Guest BIGSHOT357

I just need an idea of what im getting into here, I just decided to tackle the small block Ford in the 240z. Ive built mustangs for years, I know it takes time and money either way. I was just wondering what i could start buying to get this project started. Ive heard from around here the ford conversion is actually easier than the chevys due to the distributor...any problems with the ford?...I need mounts, oilpan, bracket type info to get me started...i really appreciate it

Guest 305240

Welcome to the great world of the hybrids! I'm one of those building a 240 with a 302. I wish I would have started with a 280 instead beacuse of the stronger body. If you are going to be running any kind of horsepower at all, you will definatly need to strengthen the body and what passes for a frame. I and others have fabracated mounts for the Ford swap. I'm using the automatic. I couldn't tell you much of what you will need if you go with a 4 or 5 speed. Capt Zorro has done a nice job with his swap. Others have done theirs and are satisfied. The way I'm doing mine is old school and not spending a ton of money.

Use the search button. Get to be good friends with it. Almost any question you may have has been answered somewhere. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Bigshot,

305240 is correct, just review the previous posts in the Ford forum when you have time. I never could get the search function to work. He has some pics of his motor mounts and there are some pics and dimensions for the ones I used under the "help me before I screw up again" post by him.

If you have been building Mustangs you shouldn't have any problems with the Z conversion. You'll need the Must. oil pan, remote oil filter, "tight tuck street rod headers", new radiator and electric fan, motor and trans. mounts, have a Ford yoke put on your driveshaft and it shortened, speedometer cable, adapters for the Ford to Z gauges and your tach. converted to 8 cyl. Depending on whether you are going with an automatic or 5 speed you will need shifter and linkage for the auto, or new hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder for the 5 speed. My buddy with the 5.0 in the ZX has a set up using the original Mustang clutch cable with a quadrant on a 240 he's building that looks like it is going to work good but he hasn't got the car on the road yet to check it out.

Adios Amigos,