HybridZ

Powerglide Question...

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Ok, quick question about powerglide. I just recently installed a powerglide I got from a friend into my 280Z, where the tranny lines come out there are two plugs, now is there a reason for the plugs being there? can I run the tranny without a tranny cooler of some sort and leave the plugs in place? Never seen this before, I'm used to using a tranny cooler. My friend seemed to know nothing about the plugs he never ran the tranny. It does have a 3000 stall and I intend to use it for drag only.I don't know the tranny's previous history and have never ran a powerglide before, so I thought I would ask. Would be a lot cleaner and nicer not to have mount my cooler and such.

Run a cooler. I run my glide drag only and run a cooler. I know some guys that tow around and loop the line back into the trans but I like the idea of keeping the fluid cool for the later rounds. When you go on the brake the fluid temp goes up like right now. I also run a synthetic trans fluid as it also handles the heat better than regular trans fluid.

Guest butlersZ

What type of synthetic fluid do you run? I'm definitely going to run a cooler, right now I'm just using the standard dexron tranny fluid. Been thinking about installing a medium shift kit, and A friend was saying that I would then HAVE to run Type F fluid, I'm not taking his word for it though. I would like to use a synthetic for the added benefits.