HybridZ

T5 to JTR transmission mount

I purchased a JTR kit on E-Bay recently and therefore would like to use that transmission mount with the T5 I purchased. The Camaro tilts the mount 15-17 degrees...the trans mount has horizontal mount area. Has anyone simply reheated/shaped the area between the two exhaust humps? It looks like it would work but wonder about driveshaft angles since this would seem to raise rear of trans quite a lot. I will invent the wheel if someone hasn't already john

Guest Anonymous

Fibuoy..if I undestand your question correctly it maybe easier to cut the middle section on 2 sides to within a 1/2 inch of the edge to gain the correct angle by slightly bending with heat and then weld the sides back together rather than heating such a thick piece of metal between two humps and trying to bend to shape. Because of the bends already in the trannny mount and it's thickness..it aint gonna cooperate without warping in the wrong places unless cut. The weld should add strength..unless someone else has a better solution

Thanks for the idea of cutting....I was concerned about making the bend in that heavy stock. Now to find power hacksaw....as far as bellhousing etc reply...this is my second swap and I have 3 JTR books, one for 10 years and they do not address the angled mount other than to show it exists john

You know Flibuoy, your right. I looked. The jtr book doesn't really explain this. My apologies.

Here is my experiance. I bought a '91 T5 out of a Firebird. It has the 15* tilt. The place where the tranny mount bolts up is cast at the same 15* angle. So when I bolted the f-body belhousing to it (also at 15*) the tranny mount comes out level. I just bolted it to the jtr mount. no bending, cutting, or folding needed. Now, if you are using a T5 from another car that is mounted straight up, and the f-body bellhousing, or vice versa, then I can see your problem.

Again, sorry if I sounded patronizing, just seemeed too simple to me. Either way, I could have come off better. nono.gif

The transmission...with Camaro 15-17 degree bellhousing is enroute....the tilt removed at mount area by the casting at mount area makes perfect sense. Perhaps I woulda coulda shoulda waited til I had it in my hands and looked...a picture from rear might have helped here....thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted. Dan I appreciate the "apology" type response. I probably did seem like a dufus....john

Guest Anonymous

Davy Z has listed in another thread to bend the ear mounts on the GM mount.. check his "DRIVETRAIN" post today on (the back page) "additional topics".