HybridZ

Advise on LT1 fuel pump wiring..Please...

Im wiring my LT1 to my 280Z and have not studied the VAT's well at all. I was told I did not need them if I use the Z's wiring to manage the fuel pump.

So I have jumpered a wire from the fuel pump contol relay to the fuel pump relay so all I have to do is ground the fuel pump relay and it will enerzie the fuel pump...

If I run this ground to the PCM will the car run?

Or should I ground it to the oil pressure sending unit, which would add some safety. Od course I would have to use a relay to manage the high current. Point is Will the car run? Or is there other things the PCM does to prevent a car from starting with out the vats?

One more, if you understand the vats, I did ohm the key and know what size resistor to buy, were do I put it? and is it that easy as wiring in a resistor to bypass the vats?

Thanks guys, I don't have the IQ to figure this out myself!!! :roll:

Terry, use the LT1's ECM and relay to run the fuel pump. It also recognizes when the oil pressure drops to 0 psi and will shut it off. So safety is not compromized using the ECM. The ECM will also prepressurize the supply line before starting and repressurize it after shut down. Trouble shooting will be easier if you retain the GM wiring as well. The VATS does more than just shut off the fuel pump. It disables the injectors and that can't be jumpered out with a simple wire. The VATS can be eliminated with Tuner Cat or you can just include it and use the resistor. I did this and then later edited it out with Tuner Cat. The good news is that you have the key and hence the resistor value. Take a look at your Helm manual and find the ignition switch. Just solder the resistor to the wires that go to the "pellet" in the key switch. I think the harness has a connector just for those two wires.

Good luck!