HybridZ

What to do to protect a clean body shell?

TheNeedForZ

Hello all

I just got a pretty clean body shell. The ex-owner paid a shop to restore it, but then let it sit in his garage for some time. Now it is starting to have some surface rust showing. Here's what I am trying to find out :

For Body & Engine bay : what should I do with the rust?

For bottom : what kind of undercoat to use? Can undercoat be sprayed over surface rust, or do I have to sand everything under the car?

Thanks in advance.

Go down to NAPA or any good auto paint store and pick up some OSPHO. Take some fine grit sandpaper, like 400 and go over the surface rust. A wire brush will help also. Take an air hose and blow the dust off. Get a plastic bowl, a cheap paint brush and some rubber gloves. Coat the whole car (exposed metal) with OSHPO. If there is any rust left, it will neutralize it and turn it black. I've used this method for years. I've left a 57 chevy setting outside for a month with the top stripped down to bare metal and applied the OSPHO in Florida. One night without it I had to sand the whole roof over as it was light brown. The humidity will get it in a heartbeat. Do not settle for anything less than OSPHO. This stuff works!

Note: Old school trick. When getting ready to primer, and you have to fill some small dents/scratches/ect. and have to use bondo, sand the area good with 80 grit. Then, (this is the trick to getting it to last) take a propane torch and flash the moisture off the bare metal. You can actually see it run before the heat. Apply the bondo as soon as you can. It will never rust underneath it.