HybridZ

V-8 conversion newbie

Guest 327zxer

Guest 327zxer

Hi all. I have a 1983 280zx turbo 2+2 and I was looking for a little more power so I decided to go with a chevy 350 "what year" I want the 350 to be carburated. I want a manual but I don't want to hassle with mounts for one. I will probably use the MSA conversion kit. So that limits me to the 700r4 transmission.Any help will be appreciated.I have done the search feature it only helped a little bit.

Guest greimann

1979 was the last year that Chevrolet offered a carbureted motor, so that year of car or earlier would be a good start.

If your transmission choice is limited by your ability to fabricate a few parts, be aware that the "kits" you buy are far from a turn key solution. You will still need to fabricate and engineer many things to complete the project. Most conversion projects are done without kits because you pay a lot for so little. Someting to think about.

Guest 327zxer

Does it matter what type of chevy I take the engine out of. Really my main concerns are the motor and tranny mounts. and MSA handles those. what type of car can I get a T-5 tranny.

Guest greimann

Back in the carbureted days, all Chevy 350's were pretty much identical. Cars and trucks are candidates. The "world class" T5 transmissions came in '88 to '92 Camaros and Firebirds. Look only for ones that came out of V8 cars, because the V6 transmissions weaker.