HybridZ

rb26 z31

Guest StreetVelocity

Guest StreetVelocity

i have searched the forums and have a ? will i be able to retain my digital gauge cluster in my z if i do the swap and what about the gear shifter match the hole i read i need the rb20 oil pan and a custom down pipe

and a rb25 tranny is there any other clearence issues that anyone can think of any help will be..... well helpful thanks

I don't know if you're going to be able to get the RB26 to fit.

I have an RB25DET in my 85 Z31 right now, and we're getting ready to crank it for the first time this weekend. That's as close as anybody in the US has gotten with this swap as far as I have been able to find.

With the correct mounts, you can use any of the trannies with the car, but as far as the 26 goes, I have no idea what is different.

I was able to retain the stock digital cluster, but as far as how well it works goes, we won't know until we crank the car and start running it. It seemed to work fine, but like I said, we won't know until we try it this weekend.

You should have no problems getting the shift matched to the hole if you make your mounts correctly. You will have to do a little expansive convincing in the tranny area of the body.

You can see pics of where my Z31 had an RB20 in it, here at:

http://shenclub.org/images/Bones

Don't ask why we put an RB20 in it, only to take it out.. it's a long story.

I will take new pics of the running car this weekend, with the RB25DET in it, and shoot some video as well.

There is one other guy claiming to have an RB25 Z31, but he doesn't have any finished pictures and flat out refuses to provide any proof that his is running/driving or finished.

You will also need a driveshaft, by the way.