HybridZ

how do i tune my haltech right? im having problems

Guest mescalinedreamz

Guest mescalinedreamz

well, im not sure if its my haltech or a slipping clutch. Or the fact that the timing used to be way advance and have 50/50 mix of turbo blue race gas and 93 octane. All i know is that i might of messed with the fuel map and lost my original map. I cant seem to break the tires as easily anymore. I just bought a stage 1 exedy clutch to install, but that wont be for while.

First gear has good power, but i used to be able to cruise in sec and floor it and go sideways, now i cant.

2nd gear, i could cruise in that and stomp it and go sideways, cant anymore, just a loud euro sound coming from the engine.

If its the haltech doing this, then what should i be looking for? i have just a 4 wire 02 sensor. Im new to this whole haltech stuff and map sensors etc. my z has a 10:1 with 270/280 460 lift cam, 3.7 liter supercharged grand prix injectors and custom intake with 74 mm tb. haltech is the f9 series. When i first got the car it didnt have much power on the highway, its only got a 4 speed in it. when i changed the timing from what it looked to be 50 degrees to 10 degrees, i have more power on the highway. but shit for 2nd and 3rd. even first is sluggish compared to before. I took my buddy out with it when it was running out of gas (50/50 mix of race gas and the car hauled ass. I burned the tires in first /second then thrid a bit and took it home after filling it with 93 octane. I decided to change the map on the haltech and took it for a drive. Cant even break the tires, just high rpms and the speed slowy goes up. around turns i can break the tires, but this car used to be bad ass. So i think it is the clutch from me raggin on it with my buddy, or i doubt it, but it could be the map. Whcih i tried messing with it and there is no difference. I had a whole bunch of maps on the laptop supplied when i bought the car and nothing chaged the cars behavior, some just made the car perform badly. Like lunging and shit.

is there a good way to tune this being a noob? i read through the entire booklet on the haltech and im still not getting it completly. I have the fuel adjustment knob in the car and i mess with that. It changes everything pretty well. But when i make changes to the fuel maps at a given rpm, it ends up making changes (bad ones) to the rest of the rpms. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

You need a wideband.

Does the F9 have datalogging?

Regardless, I would buy the Innovate Motorports Wideband. http://www.innovatemotorsports.com

I have this device, and it has worked wonders for my car and others I've tuned with it. It has integrated datalogging, which is great for a computer without it built in. However, I have an Electromotive Tec3. I input the wideband signal to the Tec3 and run it down the street. It monitors the air/fuel ratio perfectly, and I just tweak it a couple percent at a time until its dead on the a/f I'm looking for.

Tuning without a wideband is like running in the dark. Tuning with a wideband makes the fuel maps idiot-proof. (even for a beginner, especially for a beginner)

You said you made a drastic adjustment to your timing map... that has to do with midrange torque a lot. If you don't run enough timing, it will be sluggish. You should find a proven timing map for your motor and run that... even with a big cam, timing should only be off a couple degrees. Dropping it several degrees will pull all the power out in the low end.

Oh, and the innovate LM1 wideband has two programmable outputs. I put a 5v signal to the Tec3, and run a 1v signal to a narrowband gauge which I calibrated to dead-on accuracy. I then hid the wideband in the glove box, because its big and ugly. (but works great!)

I run an F9 on my daily beater, .040 over dished piston L28, big valve E31 head, 60 mm TB, 9:1 compression with the same cam as yours and 370CC injectors.

I'll send you my calibration if you like...

That's good advice about getting the wideband - get it, learn how to use it, save yourself a lot of pain.

Guest mescalinedreamz

sounds good, thanks! the car acts normal when i get on the gas ona dirt road, which leads me more to the clutch slipping problem more then anything. I would like to see the fuel map you have! Send it to scoutsmom02@comcast.net Thanks again! Can you tell me what i should do about 2nd gear? I can send you my fuel map if you want.

Guest mescalinedreamz

The f9 doesnt have timing maps, its fuel only. I just turned the distributor. I would love to have the wideband though. Any idea what a/f ratio should be in all rpm ranges? I do have data logging.

• 1 month later...