HybridZ

Best complete rear suspension and brakes for 77 280Z ???

Guest Daddyrick

Guest Daddyrick

I am building a 250 GTO version for my 77 280Z. What would be one of the best choices for a complete new rear for my car? Wheel wells are about 10 inches wider with the kit, so I should have more options. I had originally intended to use most of the original suspension, but would naturally have changed to discs. I have seen a lot of variations from this site, but I would prefer to install a complete subframe from a proper donor. Open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Daddyrick

Greetings.

Well, it really depends on what you want in the end. What type of use/abuse are you anticipating? I started out my VR project planning on having a cruiser. It still is, but I swapped the V8 LS1 and decided I wanted to upgrade the rear suspension. I also needed to repair the floor and subframe etc. So, swapping out the whole rear end became a function of seeing what would fit. I wanted to keep the IRS, I wanted 5 lugs, good brakes etc. Most of all I wanted to use up the extra 10" with tire. See this post:

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=37733&sid=79310342557f0fc715aaf32e425717ba

I did a lot of measuring figuring, prototyping etc. All in all I could not be happier. I love the stance, Front and rear match very nicely with no wheel spacers etc.

On the other hand, if you are keeping the 280 motor and you want to use 15" wire wheels, I say keep the rear end. I was going o go with wire wheels, but then decided that I would rather have the width in the tire and the wheels. So, I went with the widest wheel I could find in the 5 on 4.5" pattern. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk at length about what is involved in something like I did. I will give you my #.

Hybrid240sx300ZmaichorIRS.jpg