HybridZ

Strange Noise???

HB280ZT

HI All,

Well I just got finished fixing one problem a bad clutch and now I have this strange noise. It sounds like when you start the car and the starter does not engage. But mine is doing it in all gears above 2000 rpms. It also only does this under load, because I have tried to do it sitting in my driveway with no luck. So what do you all think??

Oh yea the stats: My car is a 77 with an 82 turbo motor and datsun 5 speed. I just replaced the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. I also put in a new clutch master and slave cylinder.

Hi All,

Here is some more information. On the way to work this morning I noticed that as you accelerate the noise increases in pitch and as you get off the gas the noise reverses. Also when I am at 20 in vac I barely hear the noise but as the turbo winds up it gets more audible (10 in vac very noisy). I am also now hearing it all the way through my exhaust :shock: . So could this be a turbo starting to go??? With the new clutch install I need to put some miles on it before I can really wind it out and see if I can still make 5-6 lbs of boost. Any .02 will help :?::?: Thanks

HB280ZT

Hi All again,

Well I guess I get to answer my own question. It looks like the turbo is toast!! I guess atleast 30 thousandth of an inch of end play on the compressor side of the turbo :shock::shock: That is not good at all. So I guess I get to look into a better turbo :twisted::twisted: Now what do I want to do????? We will see. I just wish I could post some pictures to show you all what the compressor looks like!! Oh well.

HB280ZT

[/img]