HybridZ

HID: some answers

Guest xero

I was gonna PM Stony about this 'cause he asked in a post a couple weeks back, but thought maybe I should just make a post so EVERYONE could understand.

One warning, I'm not 100% the best at explaining things as I don't know everything and am still learning, I suggest http://www.HIDPlanet.com/forums/ and go look through the sections.

first and foremost, running HID in a reflective headlamp is NOT a good idea. HID light output is so much greater than a halogen bulb that you WILL blind all oncoming traffic. Think a riced out civic with universal HIDs he got off of eBay. Now you can use shields, as some OEM HID uses sheilds in a reflective headlamp, but I'm not a fan of it. Projectors are far superior.

In order to do it properly, you'll need to retrofit a projector into a [7inch?] round housing. You can still use an H4 housing like what Stony got, the diamond cut one. You can use any projector, but some are favored over others due to their cut-off.

i_wmjk4mdk0nnm0mtnkzmqzmxk1nde_3d.jpg

example of cut-off, if you've ever seen a S2000 coming towards you, and it flashes you when it hits a bump, that's 'cause you're above the cut-off but he bounced so you were in the full force of his headlights.

IMG_3886.JPG

However, doing this will make it so you can't have high-beams unless you use something like an Audi Bi-xenon which has a cover over part of the projector, then using a motor it lifts that shield to give full light like you had your high-beams on. Problem with that set-up is you can't 'flash' someone 'cause the motor doesn't move fast enough.

Getting into actual parts of the HID, not just projectors, you have the bulbs and ballasts, plus the ignitor.

You can USE OEM stuff, or you can use the aftermarket stuff, but I'd suggest OEM, I really love the deep blue that the Audi stuff, and I think Volvo too, gives off. I think the X5 has the deep blue as well. Just cruise eBay and you'll eventually find some OEM HID equipment.

OEM stuff will require that the bulbs be "re-based" I can't really go into that as I haven't really figured that part out yet, but I believe it's because each OEM hadlight has its own way of attaching the HID bulb to the housing, not just an H4, H3, or whatever base, so the bulbs need to be put into an H4 base. I suggest searching the HID forum for that particular step.

Hella also has the D2S projector, and they have a bi-xenon, but I'm a really big fan of the S2000 projector, it's cut-off is amazing

P9110064.jpg

Cut-off being exactly how it sounds, where the light cuts-off.

I hope that kinda helped a little, though I know it prolly just made more questions. I really suggest the forum I posted up top, they'll be able to answer everything.

--Justin

One thing I forgot to mention is, RHD projectors WILL blind oncoming traffic if they have a zig-zag cut-off to them, not all projectors do.

kinda like this:

LHD

___/ ___/

vs

RHD

___ ___

also, if you were looking for just some sealed beams, I suggest some Sylvania Silverstars, I have them in the sealed beams in my 240sx, as well as bulbs in my foglights. Though I hear that the European spec Sylverstars are actual xenon bulbs and the USDM ones are coated haogen bulbs that change color over time, I haven't had any discoloration yet and I've been running them for many months.

and

good projector comparison:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=746

• 1 year later...
Guest Crema240z

I just got a pair of bi-xenon headlights out of a 2005 G35 from work all that was wrong is the casings cracked but i dont need that any way... one of the body men was going to throw them out and he knew I was building up a car so he told me to use them I guess i'll have more questions when it comes time to install them but does any one know how much they would be worth?

• 7 months later...