HybridZ

GREAT... NOW what??

Guest 83supaZ

Guest 83supaZ

today was going great... finished up with everything i needed to pull my l28 out of the z... EXCEPT the header nuts.... one of them come off (hard as he** to get off might i add) with the WHOLE stud coming out... 2nd one (even harder i do believe....) comes off with just the nut... 3rd and final nut is TOO hard and awkward... so ya know us americans... cant get it. FORCE it... (Pres. Bush's Motto heh) so i get a LONG bar... approx 2 1/2 ft long... put on the end of my ratchet... crank down on it hard and yay... it begins to turn... (so i think) next thing i know im thrown into the engine bay.. and the stud is broke off in the manifold.. what now? drill a SMALL hole in the stud then get one of those bolt extractors that dig into the hole u made in the stud in reverse which will screw it out.... OR is the bolt so rusted i'll have to go about it another way? anyone else ever have this happen? its not a prob right this sec but when i order my headers and get ready to put the motor back in (pulling it out tomorrow so i have quite a while) ill have to get that stud out before i can put the headers on...

I have had this happen to me quite a few times most recently on a j pipe for a sr20det. Key is to take your time. Start with a small drill bit and try to drill right into the center, then step up to bigger sizes. Get to the biggest size that you can with out going past the threads of the bolt. At that point you need to get a broken bolt extractor repsective to the size of the hole you drilled. They maybe called something else but essentially it is a left hand thread drill bit. I have a set of matco that i really like. Get some good penetrating oil and give it a shot, remeber to take your time though that is the key. All this is of course with the engine out of the car. If your uncomfortable with that most machine shops will do it, some charge more though if you tried it yourself first.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

PICK UP SOME STUFF CALLED 'DEEP CREEP'... ITS MADE BY SEAFOAM AND ITS SOLD AT MOST NAPA AUTO PARTS STORES.... THAT STUFF WORKS WONDERS. JUST SPRAY IT ON THE STUD AND LET IT SIT.... THEN START EXTRACTING AND SPRAYING ON MORE.

WORKED FOR MY VALVE COVER STUDS AND INTAKE BOLTS.

The best results I've had washing dishes and extracting rusted bolts have the same motto,"let it soak".

Since you are not in a big hurry I would recommend that you spray the penitrating oil on a couple times a day for several days before you do any drilling.

Actually, this would have been good advice before you started wrenching. :roll: