HybridZ

Chev vs. Ford (newbie)-handling

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

sorry to thrash an old question but my 1971 240 sits cold and lifeless and waiting for a V8 transplant. Handling is a huge concern for me as I poan on racing the car. Any real world difference between the lighter, more set-back Ford vs. heavier, cheaper, easier Chev?

Guest Speaker

i hear you can still set back the chevys just fine...

the LS1 is a new block; its lighter than the old-ass-molasses 4.6 modular from ford...

and its a hella powerful engine... stock they are underrated to 310hp (for the 2001 models)... and they actually consistently make around 310rwhp now (for the 2001 models)

each year from 98-2001, the rwhp increased from 295rwhp in 98 to about 310rwhp for 2001... its a badass motor... tons of torque.. but its expensive...

but it should bolt right up to the T56 just fine smile.gif

------------------

------------------------

looking at a 240Z V8

conversion project

To answer the question - do the Chevy it should still handle fine. If you do th eFord it may sit higher and you'll be having to custom make the mounts - plus you'll likely end up with the T5.

If you do the SBC it's pretty well documented and can use the T56. Set it way back in the chassis and you should be fine for handling with nearly 50/50 weight distro. The LS1 swap isn't as well documented and this is one swap I woldn't want to engineer myself. Do an LT1 or older style block, it'll make power and be just fine - plus cheaper. :-)

there's one chevy dealer selling both fbody and corvette spec ls1's for $5400. pricey, but hey, 300hp at the rear wheels and 30mpg, i simply can't help buy smile at the idea smile.gif

personally, it'd be worth it just to be able to point that out to my peers. childish and immature... but still biggrin.gif

edit: a thread of interest wrt to crate ls1's: http://corvetteforum.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/032918.html

[This message has been edited by pauli (edited November 30, 2000).]