HybridZ

4 wires O2 sensor

VinhZXT

Hi all,

It's been along time since the last time I post here. I have a few 4 wires O2 sensor and I was wondering can I use this O2 sensor in my turbo 280ZX? Do I gain any thing by doing so? What is the advantage of using 4 wires O2 sensor vs. the conventional 1 wire? and how do I hook it up ?

Another question I have is or can someone explain this: I have a 79 280ZX with the 82 280ZX turbo wiring harness ( the whole entire car wiring was changed out). If my car sits for a long while the fuel pump check valve stuck open. If I get a pair of plier and pinch the return line momentarily the check valve pops back in and then start holding pressure in the line. I have a pressure gauge hook up so I know. I also have the the vent line from the charcoal canister line open and the vent tube from the filler neck plugged. The car runs fine the way it is. It's just bother me that the pressure doesn't hold in the line. Thanks for any good explanation.

Vinh

This problem is on my spyderZX which was just got painted. it's is at

http://members.cardomain.com/vinh280

Guest 240zJake

Lol was just reading a thing on the sds page about the 4 wire o2 sensor, it means the sensor is heatedhttp://www.sdsefi.com/specific.html their info is three up from the bottom of the page

The meter can be ordered separately or with either a single wire, unheated sensor (left) or 4 wire heated sensor (right). A steel, weld-in boss is included with either sensor. The unheated version works fine with most applications and is easier to wire. The 3 wire heated sensor requires signal, power and ground to function. Its advantage is a 60 second warmup period vs. 90 to 300 seconds for the unheated. It will also read correctly during extended idling or coasting where an unheated one may cool down under these conditions.

4 wire 02 was put on newer cars to speed warm up time of the sensor.o2 sensors dont put out signal until they get warmed up but the exhaust system on a 1 wire sensor.after the emission control/efi system got more sophistcated in mid 90's the bulk of the emissions were made by a car in its first 90 seconds of run time during warm up.so the heated 02 was born.the newer(96+) cars with obd 11 can detect open circuits on the 02 heaters.wire colors on ford 4 wire-both white wires are heater .grey is signal out.black is ground.reading o2 voltages is better than nothing but not as good as a 5 wire data logging mixture meter like a innovate motorsports unit or other brand of 5 wire unit.i had a 4 wire on my 81 zxt engine with the heater hooked up.you could hear it switch to closed loop after about a minute if i let it idle after a cold start.