HybridZ

Modding an N/A to a turbo.

Adimir

lol no prob...

i posted on zcar and i said stock zxt ECU and harness and dude said using zxt efi is bad...so clarify that??

so do i still need to buy zxt ECU and Harness even IF i go with an EFI managment system?? and also what brand and type of fuel pump would you suggest i run with ther 370 cc injecots??

tahts two points more ihave to clarify and then ill start shopping!!! YAY!!!

and thanks for all the help man.

Guest bastaad525

Okay...

Stock ZXT ECU can only be used with a turbo wiring harness, and would require an AFM from the same year, and I believe would require the wiring harness from the same year as well. The '82-83 setups are mostly similiar, but there are significant differences in the '81. The '81 has a slightly different wiring harness than '82-83, and also has a totally different distributor/crank sensor setup, however this part IS interchangeable with later ECU's (but not preferable). I use an '82 ECU and wiring harness, but the '81 dizzy and crank sensor. To avoid headaches just try to go same year everything if you can.

Stock ZXT ECU can be made to work with the setup you're looking at doing. It can be tweaked to run the 370cc injectors. It isn't going to run 100% perfect, but it will run just fine for daily driving, racing or whatever, with minimal compromise.

If you go with a standalone EFI system, you wouldn't need the stock ECU, the stock AFM, may not need the stock distributor, and may or may not be able to use part or all of the stock wiring harness.

The most commonly used/recommended fuel pump I see mentioned here is the Walbro 255lph pump, which I believe are good up to like 400-600hp, somewhere in there. I don't remember for sure but prices are in the high $100 - low $200 range. I went with the MSD high perf fuel pump, MSD part #2225, which was like $120, and has supported me just fine running very high fuel pressure (higher pressure = less ability to flow), at ~230rwhp/14psi of boost.

hehe again thanks ill look up the Walbro, and i guess i can keep my NA ECU and harness to run other stuff like guages and lights and all that right?

and get an aftermarket fuel managment :) which i will have to look up whats the best out there, and then the distributor will also have to be aftermarket?.....like i said...i dont have a lump sum of money but i dont care what i spend over time...

again thanks a bunch....

Guest bastaad525

as far as I know the N/A ECU only controls the EFI specifically and the fuel pump. Turbo ECU also controls ignition timing. You shouldn't need to keep the ECU to run gauges or lights at all. The EFI wiring harness is seperate from the wiring that controls lights, guages, etc.

With aftermarket EFI there are a few possiblities. Some, like SDS and Tec, are completely distributorless... they don't need one, but rather control spark directly from coil packs, which come with the system. Some, like Megasquirt, can be made to work with the stock distributor. You shouldn't need to get an aftermarket dizzy either way.

ok i see...i read your other posts said that it just has no internals on the dizzy? is that how the setup works? pretty interesting...also is this proper size for the t3/04 turbo that would be required for a z?

3" Inlet Diameter, 2" Outlet, Wet Floating Bearings, 1/8 NPT Oil Inlet, T3 / T4 Footprint

Specs: .57T Garret Compressor Wheel, .50 A/R Compressor, .63 A/R Turbine, this turbo can easily do 25-30 psi.

Standard T3 ~ T3/T4 Flange, 5 Hole Exhaust Flange

Guest bastaad525

The '81 turbo distributor is a 'blank' distributor... when you remove the cap all that is inside is the rotor, there are no mechanical internals. The crank angle sensor is mounted on the front of the engine and actually reads directly off the crank pulley. On the '81, you adjust ignition timing by adjusting the position of the crank sensor relative to the pulley.

The '82-83 dizzy's have the crank angle sensors built into them, and adjust pretty much like an N/A distributor, by rotating the dizzy itself.

None of the turbo distributors have mechanical parts in them like the N/A dizzy's, that control advance or other ignition functions... in the turbo's it's all controlled by the ECU. However, aftermarket EFI systems like the Megasquirt can be made to work with any year turbo distributor, even the 'blank' one, using something like an MSD ignition or an HEI module to replace some of the functions the stock ECU usually controlls.

theres a few walbro 255lph pumps kicking round ebay...do i need any special connectors with them or just bare pump will do just fine?

also please tell me what the t3/04 specs are regarding to a/r i see a few there but i dont know if just any t3/04 will do.