HybridZ

HYBRIDIZING 280ZX ... NEED ADVICE!

Guest keb55

I am looking to put a small block chevy with a th400 behind it in my 82 ZX. Will the transmission tunnel in the floorpan need to be altered ... will I need a specific oil pan ... and will rams horn exhausts fit on both sides of the engine compartment ... and is there anything else I should be thinking of? :!:

I am guessing the tunnel will need to be massaged a little to fit. We had to make some room in my dad's '84 300ZX (I know it is not the same but it is very close) when we installed his 400SBC and TH350. The TH400 being bigger will probably require more pounding. If this is going to be a street car, you may want to look at the TH700 as an alternative for its overdrive.

The reason I am using the TH400 is due to availability and lost cash flow! I hope to get it up in a weeks worth of work and later change pieces as I go. The TH700 is a great idea. Thanks. Did you have to massage the tranny tunnel with a hammer (!) or cut it and add a piece? And also did any of the firewall need touching?

Big hammer. There were two mounting tabs on the bellhousing of the trans that we cut off, and we had to make dimple about 1-2" deep to allow room for the trans dipstick tube.

Other folks on here have put t56's in 240-280's and I think everybody has been able to massage the tunnel with a sledge hammer.

Thanks for your vision of things to come! I am really looking forward to the implant. The 6 cylinder is over a quarter of a million miles now and is burning oil at a rate of 5 to 6 quarts every 200 miles ... ouch ... and no matter what I would do to it I will never get the torque I want. The 327 is a 290 horse version that came out of a 68 pickup I have. It is strong and healthy and should be a good workhorse for the mountain drives around here (and the local ricers ...). I was going to take apart an 89 Ford Supercoupe and put the supercharged V6 and 5 speed in it ... but I really LOVE a simple motor with simple ways ... Anyway, if you come up with anything else I am all ears! THANKS AGAIN. Keb

Search for the username "greimann". He did a great conversion in a 79 ZX. He sold it a year or so ago and has not been around much since. Also, RossC (owner of Modern Motorsports) had a sweet ZX that was stolen and driven to a firey end. You should be able to get some good information from thier posts. I think there are other ZX conversions on here but they are not coming to mind right now.