HybridZ

opinions on the phantom grip w/slicks for the 1/4 mile

660Z

I`m running slicks and in order to save the rear, I have to forgo the burnout and walk the car out (getting 1.8 60's). The slicks took out my last rear by breaking the center pin. I`m trying to break into the 11`s and yesterday I got 12.07. Would the phanton grip help to save the rear for a traditional all out launch with slicks? I`m thinking since it covers the center pin and puts pressure on the spider gears, it might be what the rear needs to hold it together.

Mark

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

The Phantom Grip I used was a piece of shit and I ended up sending it back for a refund. It overheated the side gears from rubbing against them and made them expand, causing teeth to snag and break off and trash my whole diff.

I can't speak for every application, but in my case it was pure junk. Also, during burnouts, I still only had one tire spin with the PG.

Jon, a.k.a. Jumbo240ez also has the Phantom grip in his R200. He doesn't show up here much anymore so I'll share what he told me about it a couple days ago. He doesn't drag race, he runs his Z at Infinion (Sears Point) and also on the street. He said that it worked for a while but now is worthless/worn out.

I doubt it would help you much in the 1/4 mile. I don't think it would give much support to the spider gear pin.

You didn't say, but I'm assuming your running an R200. If that's the case and your breaking it than it's time to spend some real money. If you want to keep the IRS either upgrade to the R230 or a Nismo R200 LSD with four spider gears rather than two.

If this is mainly a drag car then you may want to consider going to a live axle.

Do a search. There have been a couple of long threads about the PowerGrip.

I think the consensus was that it's more a gimmick than a real tool. I considered it when I was still naieve.

The cheapest is to find an 87 to 89 300ZX Turbo in a junk yard and grab the R200 w/LSD.

Nissan doesn't sell the 10mm LSD assemblies anymore so, the next cheapest would be to grab a 12mm non-turbo R200 from a junk yard and buy the 12mm LSD assembly from someone like West Coast Differentials at: http://www.differentials.com/

Last I heard it was about $550 for the LSD assembly. You supply the Diff.

I picked up a non-LSD 12mm R200 for $75 from a local yard.

The most expensive and I would argue the most rewarding. Quaife.

$1299 + $15 = $1314 delivered from Bildon Motorsports:

http://www.bildon.com/

It's drilled for both 10mm and 12mm and carries a lifetime warranty.