HybridZ

1983ZXT with 300ZX MAF how do I adjust?

danman

1974 Datsun 260Z with 1983ZXT motor and JWT 300ZX computer and 300ZXMAF.

I have been having all kinds of problems with the MAF connector. I just recently had the pleasure of driving to the gas station running great and then starting it in limp mode. Driving home in limp mode is good fun. :wink: Anyway I soldered the wires directly to the 300ZX MAF. The car no longer seems to go into limp mode.

Being the kind of guy that does as much damage as good when I fix things I played with the adjustment screw on the MAF. My car has a MAF from first gen. 300ZX. There is adjustment screw behind metal plug just left of the connector.

My question is what direction does what adjustment. Ie. clockwise rich, counter lean etc.?

Thanks

Side question is there a fuel management system that will adjust to what ever boost I set and whatever throtle position. My car feels uneven. It has slight hesitation at 3000 and then takes off. Car seems to like to either be idling or all the way on it. It also runs rich, which is where the above question comes from.

Are you running stock injectors? I did that swap and never messed with the MAF and had great results. Make sure your TPS is set correctly. If you want to improve your fuel management my advise is to reprogram the 300zx Ecu and not mess with the MAF. I had my Ecu retuned and it made a HUGE difference. However you need a 87+ Ecu. If you have one of that vintage, take the top cover off (4 phillips screws) On the circuit board you'll see a 28pin Eprom chip. You would have to take it to somebody that can de-solder the chip from the board and replace it with a eprom socket. (this way you can remove and replace the chip at any time) Then you can get a reprogrammed chip and have it tuned for bigger injectors, timing advance curve.. whatever.. If you are interested I can give you a email address of a guy that can send you a chip.